There has been a lot of discussion recently on the state of iPad magazines. I’ve got a simple solution:
1. Build your magazine as an app
2. When I launch it, I want to see a table of contents (Who needs a cover for a digital magazine?)
3. Let me tap on an article to download it (for offline use) and read it
4. Include a ‘download all’ button at the bottom of the table of contents
5. Include a lot fewer pictures (unless the article warrants it)
That’s it. Think of it as a simple Instapaper version of your website. I want a lot more writing and a lot less fluff.